Wednesday, May 6, 2009

MOVING!

Yes, that's right. Despite the fact that the 3 people who read my blog already know this, I'm posting it! In two weeks, my house will be as vacant as my expression. I will be moving to an undisclosed location where I'll be residing!

Seriously though, as I look to moving in with my sweetie, I thought I'd take a moment to post some plans. A certain redneck I know has cut me a deal to run Cat-6 Ethernet cable through the house - prepping it for AT&T U-Verse and to be worthy of my data. I am going to have to have a basic sit down with him w/r to this to make sure that I know everything I need to know for having a house that is ready for the uber-network.

As I see it, I'm going to have "Drops" (RJ-45 connectors): Living Room, My Office, Master Bedroom, Guest Room. Living Room and Master Bedroom are generally for TV watching. Of course, for my office, I'm sticking my home router on it, and running my PC setups.

I'm sure that you are wondering why I'm going all out for Cat-6, when I just need enough for basic U-Verse and then run Wireless? While it is true, that getting a bunch of wireless network cards would probably be good enough, there are a few problems I have.

First of all, the bandwidth I can get with the Cat-6 is higher than the wireless bandwidth. Admittedly, this is the weakest reason since most CPUs can't drive the data at a speed that would make that much of a difference. However, as my systems improve, it will eventually make a difference.

Secondly, I'm worried about interference. The fact is, wireless is becoming more and more popular in the world. I am expecting to see a LOT more wireless networks in my neighborhood which will need to compete with the "airspace". I'm sorry, but my bits are too important for that.

Third, ease of configuration. Getting a system to talk to a secured wireless network is a PAIN! I don't want to mess with that. I want to have it hook up and go!

So, short and sweet, and data-riffic!

No comments: