Friday, January 8, 2010

Food Intake

I've been making some very basic changes to my diet in an attempt to follow my destiny to "be a Jedi". A Jedi would likely have a diet that was functional, rather than be attached to the crazy food options that a galaxy spanning civilization would have and only have "fun food" occasionally. So, this is my new Diet. Not glamorous; certainly functional.

The biggest change is to kill off my addiction to Diet Soda (again). In the past, I've tried this but it never stuck. I think part of it has had to do with the fact I'm actually dealing with two addictions instead of just one. Not only do I like caffeine, but I like the fizziness of the soda.

I'm cutting fizziness first. I've started drinking green tea with a shot of lemon juice. The caffeine is slightly lower than soda, but still there. Furthermore, I don't have the feeling that my kidney's have been "dry cleaned" as I do after I've had 2 litres of soda in a day. In theory, this should also help me reach my health goal. For the record, green tea doesn't taste that great, but the shot of citrus juice makes a big difference.

I'll see about reducing my caffeine intake at a later date.

As to solid food...

South Beach generically didn't work that well for me. Further, the Tim Ferris diet recommendation was very labor intensive first thing in the morning. Then I remembered the one diet plan I had that DID work for me in the past. I never followed it because of general ridicule of others and because the EX didn't support me. It IS South Beach friendly, easy, and I'm NEVER hungry.

Back in the 70s, Covert Bailey published a book called "The Fit or Fat Target Diet". Basically, it's cut fat and refined carbs (sound familiar?). So, I cut up a lean piece of meat and toss it into a crock pot full of beans.

Yes, Beans...

Beans: High Fiber, No Fat, High Protein, and No simple carbs. In fact, the South Beach diet lists Beans as a phase 1 (most restrictive part of the diet) food. Yes, there are "gas" issues, however, after about 2 weeks, your body adapts to the diet and doesn't banish you to living in your own little cloud.

Yes, I have a normal dinner; this is just breakfast (really) and lunches (I have several small meals through the day to keep the metabolism pumping). This also helps give me the will-power to NOT snack on food that is bad for me in times of weakness.

People have lived for thousands of years on less variety and less food. A Jedi would have the discipline to follow this simple diet. If I want to be a Jedi, I will have it too.

I will form good habits, and become their slave.

No comments: