Monday, June 23, 2008

My stance on 4E

I have played Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition.

As many people know, I started playing D&D with 3rd Edition. I didn't like 1st and 2nd Eds - but I do have familiarity with those editions. Now, Wizards of the Coast has given us 4E. What do I think?

I don't like 4E.

To be clear, Fourth Edition seems to be a good system. From what I've seen it looks like it has been balanced and it doesn't have some of the idiosyncrasies that previous editions have (A low level wizard running out of things to do, except hide because they cannot take ANY damage). So, it DOES work.

But, to me it doesn't FEEL like D&D. those idiosyncrasies are things that made D&D what it is. For example, I was never fond of the Vancian magic system, but I think the current 'infinite shots' of a power goes a little too far the other way. I hope it brings new gamers to the hobby, and I sincerely hope it is successful. BUT, I see me going back to my pre-3rd ed stance and not being a D&D player.

SO, what is there for me?

Paizo is preparing to release THIS.

The Pathfinder RPG is basically a refinement of 3.5 that tries not to invalidate the HUGE 3.5/3.0 library you (if you are like me) have. I've not yet gotten my grubby hands on a playtest copy yet, but I have high hopes.

No comments: