Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting the Space Marines organized

Well step one of trying to get started finishing (heh) the Space Marines is massive organization and planning. To that end I've divided my army into 4 groups:
  1. Ones to strip paint off
  2. Unpainted/unassembled
  3. 75% done (I tend to get to this point and it's hard to make myself finish them)
  4. Completely complete
It turns out that, as expected #2 is the smallest group of figs at a count of less than 10. After that I have about 10 to 20 that are completely complete. Then I have about 40-50 that are 75% done. The largest group are the ones sporting old paint (probably about a company worth of marines). I've also collected together all of my various bits and organized them so that I can actually FIND the bits I have.

In order to save my sanity, I'm going to start with the ones in group #3. Finishing the marines shouldn't be too taxing. It mainly involves adding a thin blue wash, dry-brushing white back over it, picking out the details, and then clear coating it. This also works out because it means I am focusing on the ones in the current army list I have.

The trick to this, of course, is to work out a specific time to do this. I'm thinking of reserving about an hour a day immediately after work until the Trophy Fiancee gets home. I just need to rebuild my work area next so I can get underway.

The other thing I've realized in all of this reorganization is that I don't have everything nicely set up to make the army transportable. The foam inserts I have don't necessarily fit everything just the way I want (especially with the new terminators I've acquired that have the big bases as opposed to my old ones. However, that can wait until later I think.

Wow, I've got a lot of work in front of me on these. I think I made the right decision in farming out the Eldar to Fish-N-Chips painting (see the link on the right, he does great work!)

No comments: