Friday, January 2, 2009

Welcome 2009! Looking forward...

As with most people, I use Jan 1st is a time to consider how to best improve oneself. I'm talking about New Year's Resolutions. My 2008 resolution worked very well actually. I used the vaguely worded "Better Living through Technology". Basically, the idea was to use tech to better manage the minutia of my life. It worked! I take my daily meds, I exercise regularly, I don't forget things as much.

What of 2009? Well, this year, I'm going to do some more concrete things.
  1. Read more - As I tend to wake up and be more alert in the morning, I'm going to spend at least 30 minutes a day reading.
  2. Try to post HERE at least once a week - and have it be gaming related. I like writing, and even if only 3-4 people read this, I like having a place to have stuff written down for general consumption because it "makes it more real".
  3. Try to paint either 5 rank and file troops or 1 special character a week. I want to have all my marines look cool - and I've got a TON.
  4. Drop 25 lbs of fat. Sounds easy? Perhaps it is, but it's all I really feel I need to do. In doing this, I'm going to follow some of the advice of Tim Ferris: Lose 20 lbs of Fat, Gain Muscle, Weight Training. I'm not going for "athlete"; I'm not going for "ripped", just not dumpy.
  5. Trim possessions. I've already started this, but I have a bit to go. I want to dump some of the excessive crap in my life. As the Buddha said, "Suffering is caused by craving or attachments to worldly pleasures of all kinds". Now, I'm not intending to completely renounce all of my worldly possessions, but there is much I don't need that is merely trappings that are unneeded, "when I became a man, I put away childish things." Who knows, I might be closer to escaping the cycle of Samsara.
Anyway...Here is hoping that 2009 rocks!

No comments: