Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pravda Khador

As previously mentioned, my Warmachine experience with the Cryx faction hasn't panned out. I like the game, but my playstyle is not the "debuff it to death" that is Cryx. So, I picked up the Khador starter box from Ninja Pirate. Now that work is a bit more in the reactive mode, I'm starting to assemble.



Yesterday, I opened up the box and washed the minis. For those of you who aren't aware, when buying any type of model, it is usually a good idea to wash the model off before painting. Models are coated with a substance that allows them to be more easily released from their molds. I've noticed especially with Warmachine, that the models have a slight oily quality. My Necromunda and Mordheim figures had a similar film on them.

After washing, I started inspecting them to look for problems. Unlike my Cryx box, these models had a large amount of flash on them that needed to be removed. Usually, I'd break out the file and exacto and go to town. This time, I decided to give my new dremel a spin (groan). Flash came off incredibly fast and with minimal effort. If you choose to try this at home, I'd recommend proceeding with caution as it immediately became obvious that I could screw up the figs. Thankfully, I didn't.

Next, I start looking at assembling these steam-powered, magically controlled robots. The instructions lacked a couple details, but thankfully, BrushTralls comes to the rescue. I'm probably not going to do the red primer as they use, but instead go with my flat black Krylon followed by red basecoats.

I love the colour red. It will be nice finally doing some red models, even though I've heard it's tricky to do.